HTA public meeting and Annual Review of the Year event
Tuesday 9 July 2013, 10:00 to 16:30
One Drummond Gate, London
HTA Authority meeting
The public meeting, was held in the morning (from 10:00 to 13:00), and provided an opportunity to observe the Authority as it discusses its business. After the agenda items were discussed there was a question and answer session with the audience.
HTA Review of the Year event
The Review of the Year event was held in the afternoon (from 13:30 to 16:30) and is the HTA’s main public event of the year, when we launched our 2012/13 Annual Review publication and reviewed that last year’s achievements.
The Review of the Year event started with a debate exploring Regulation: in the public interest? A number of high profile speakers were confirmed, including:
- Baroness Diana Warwick, Chair of the HTA (Chair);
- David Behan, Chief Executive of the Care Quality Commission;
- Peter Walsh, Chief Executive of Action Against Medical Accidents;
- Sarah Bedwell, Director of Regulation at the HTA;
- Jonathan Montgomery, Professor in Health Care Law and Chair of the Health Research Authority; and
- Richard Woodfield of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency.
They gave their perspectives on regulation including the drive to reduce ‘red tape’, whether there is too much or too little regulation following the Francis report, and finding the right balance between regulating in the professional and public interest. This was followed by a discussion with the audience.
The second session was a more informal discussion on areas where the HTA has sought to streamline and reduce burden on establishments, without impacting on public confidence and patient safety. Small groups discussed whether the HTA have the balance right in this work.